Thursday, January 12, 2012

Kids get me every time.

We got called out in a confined space rescue. A child had fallen down a hole about three feet deep.

I know this area very well. Because it is literally in my backyard. When the call came in I wanted to jump on the truck and swoop in to save the day.

But, I couldn't.

Why? You ask?

I'm not certified in confined space, Yet! In my state you should be certified in high angle, elevator, rope, swift water, deep water, and confined space rescue. Those are not the entire list that we certified ourselves in rescue.

I so wanted to be there, but then again if I did go I would have just been in the way. Another bystander satisfying my need to be in the action.

One thing I have learned in this field is realize when and when not to respond. I mean am I truly needed, or will I just be in the way.

When I first started in 2008, I would jump on any truck just to be "first due"
I looked at our numbers. Both career staff went on the rescue, two volunteers were on the ambulance, And then there was me.

Then it happened.

Second and then a third alarm.

All the runs were covered. Because we need to remember its not about being first. It's about being a team. If we would have all jumped on the truck, with the career staff being the only ones trained in the rescue at hand. We would have left our station open to dropping one or both serious calls. We would have all been out of district; on an assignment we could even been utilized on.

I think this should be taught to our cadets class. I think it would be a value lesson to all. Using today example to send it home. All the calls turned out for the best.

No fatalities.

But what could have happened if we didn't manage our resources and manpower?

0 comments: