Thursday, February 21, 2013

What would you do?

I have had a lot of doors slammed in my face since the accident.  I tired to re-enter my original Paramedics pool at Delaware Tech.  But without the doctor's clearance, I would not be able to sign up for classes. Without signing up for classes to complete my Anatomy and Physiology; I would have to wait yet another year to apply for my clinical.

SO.

I went one state over to Cecil County Community College. They welcomed me in  to the college with open arms. Rushed my aid, and got me into classes the day before the official start.  Now, I don't want to slam this particular college; because, they have been so nice to me.  There was one vital question both of us neglected to bring up. Exterior prerequisites in order to join the clinicals.  I didn't find this out until I was preparing my application for clinicals of September 2013. The conversations went something like this:

A0:  "Well, Miss Awesome. There are only a couple requirements that you must have to take the state test to qualify."

ME:  "What do you mean to qualify?"

A0:  "Well, it was an oversight on our part. You see. You being an out-of-state student; you cannot take the state exam without an county affiliation. We cannot go forward with the paramedic program without this affiliation. Do you have a county affiliation?"

ME: "ummmmm. no. Why would you even welcome me into the college; knowing, damn well, I wanted to attend your paramedics program? You knew from my application, that I was not an in-state student. Also, under the volunteerism part; I listed all of the fire station those affiliate with.   None of those departments within the county.   I  provided all the information that you  you said you needed of me."

A0: "Well, yes. As I said, it was an oversight on my part."

ME: "So, you admit you held me up for another semester. You knew, damn well, I was not going to be able to proceed with the program due to me not having an affiliation."

A0: "Well, that is why I gave you the phone number of the Chief of EMS of this county."

ME: "I understand, I was given the phone number of a man I didn't expect to talk to until this summer. You are my ADVISER. You should have ADVISED me the program I wanted to proceed with need a county affiliation. Instead, you sat there and took my money, and led me to believe I was going to able to continue with my program for a semester and a half. Sounds like fraud to me. How can you offer a program that depends on the state and county to complete? and, HOW CAN YOU OFFER IT AS A DEGREE PROGRAM AVAILABLE TO OUT-OF-STATE STUDENTS?"

A0: "Well, I was mistaken, but you can go for the Nursing program. I'm sure the resident requirement will not count against you since you have a lengthy history of education. All you have to do is keep your grades up. Interested?"

Now I was ready to jump the desk on this person.  I went home in tears. I frantically sought a program to enter.  I found one...103 miles away.  I am happy here.  I am able to finish my program finally.  The 2 1/2 hour drive is not that bad. I still have yet to meet my advisor. Hopefully, next week after court.

Hopefully....

0 comments: